Teech D. Marshall (ティーチ・D・マーシャル, Tīchi D. Māsharu), also known as Blackbeard (黒ひげ, Kurohige), is the captain and admiral of the Blackbeard Pirates and one of the Four Emperors. He formerly first started out his pirate career as a member of the Roger Pirates, until he betrayed and defected from the crew. He was the one who killed the Whitebeard Pirates' 4th second division commander, Thatch for the Dark-Dark Fruit, 20 years ago. Prior to the two-year timeskip, he also briefly held the position of the Warlord after handing Trace over to the Navy before resigning upon returning from Impel Down with Level Six prisoners.
"The Dreams of Pirates WILL NEVER DIE!"
- —Teech D. Marshall.
- Voice Actor: Cole Brown (English), Akio Ōtsuka (Japanese), Not Known (Italian), Not Known (Spanish), Not Known (German), Not Known (Finnish), Not Known (Korean), Not Known (French), Not Known (Latin American Spanish)
Captain of the Blackbeard Pirates. Also known as "Blackbeard". Once in the Seven Warlords of the Sea.
He is now one of the Four Emperors.
With the power of the Logia Curséd Fruit, Dark-Dark Fruit, he can create, control, manipulate, and change his body to darkness. He can also use gravity to pull everything to him and into his dark control. He gave Shanks the 3 scars he carries on his left eye, and Rex the X shaped scar he carries on his chest.
The Young Past DaysEdit
When Teech was younger, he was shown wearing a baseball cap with a rolled up long sleeve shirt and dark shorts. He is also wearing black curled tip shoes.
20 years ago, while he was a member of the Roger Pirates, Teech's black beard was small and less scruffier than it is today, he wored an open buttoned white shirt with rolled up sleeves, green trousers with black line patterns, a yellow sash around his waist and classic black swashbuckler boots complete with large bronze buckles.
Blackbeard is a middle-aged looking man with a massive build, as his body is round with relatively thin limbs. He has a big mouth with several broken or missing teeth (though sometimes he does have a full set, which is an inconsistency error made by Oda), a pronounced crooked nose and a very large and hairy chest and torso. Long, thick, woolly, curly black hair falls down the back of his neck, underneath his bandana, and a longer and scruffier black beard (hence his epithet) grows around his jawline. He is extremely tall, being exactly twice Luffy's (pre-timeskip) height.
Blackbeard wears an open buttoned red shirt with rolled up sleeves, a large black, yellow and gold captain's coat on his shoulders like a cape, pair of necklaces of red as well as golden-yellow and blue beads to his dark orange sash and a traditional black tricorne hat over his black bandana, along with white beads on each wrist as bracelets and rings with gemstones on all of the fingers of both his hands (similar to his predecessor, Crocodile). He sometimes also has three flintlocks and a flask tied to his sash around his waist.
After the time skip, Teech has grown a long beard that he has split into multiple sections, very much like his real life basis. He also wears a new hat with his Jolly Roger embroidered on it.
- Hair Color: Black
- Skin Color: Brown
- Eye Color: Black
- Age: 38 (debut), 40 (after timeskip)
- Birthday: August 3rd
- Height: 344 cm (11'3½")
- Weight: Not Known
"This "new era" they talk about is a load of crap. The age where pirates dream is over!? Eh!? Hey! Zehahahaha! PEOPLE'S DREAMS... DON'T EVER END! AM I RIGHT?"
- —Teech D. Marshall.
In Japanese version, most Fairy One Piece Tail's characters are given a distinct laugh. Blackbeard follows this tradition by starting his laughs with "Ze" (i.e Zehahahahahaha!). This laugh is not present in the English Dub.
Blackbeard's personality seems to be contrasts of courage, strategy, in-consequence, cunning, stupidity and somewhat insane. While at times his character looks strong and fearsome, in others he will seem weak and ridiculous. He is apparently very deceptive, joining the Warlords in an elaborate fashion for the sole reason of gaining access to Impel Down in order to find new crew mates and later resigning from it in front of the fleet admiral himself saying that he doesn't need it anymore. He is also exceedingly power-hungry and greedy, aiming to become the next King of the Pirates.
His hunger for power lead him to fashion a very cruel way of recruiting only the best prisoners in Impel Down as comrades: he ordered them to murder each other, and would only take the strongest ones who survives. Though he betrayed the Roger Pirates, Teech takes comradeship with the crew he formed to a high level, made evident when he was willing to make a trade with the Navy for a battleship big enough to hold all of them comfortably for the sake of one crew member, Wolf San Juan. Despite his obvious malevolent nature, he is also genuinely compassionate, caring, sympathetic and empathetic towards his crew's well-being and is willing to take assaults intended for his crew. He also has an extreme thirst for adventure, regularly traveling from place to place. However, he tends to let fate decide things and play it by ear.
Blackbeard, like others who carry the Spirit Will of the D., has a strong belief in fate and the dreams of men, but unlike the others, is the only one who truly seems to take it to heart. He shares several attributes he also shares with others who carry the Spirit Will of the D., including having a voracious appetite, carefree attitude, competitive and reckless nature, persevering no matter what happens, and huge ambitions to follow his dream of finding One Piece and become the new King of the Pirates. Just before he was nearly about to face death at the hades of Whitebeard, Teech was already aware wasn't the one Roger had been waiting for and sworn that he doesn't nor ever want of continuing his former captain's legacy
Perhaps because of his strong belief in fate, Blackbeard is highly amoral. He believes that there is no inherent "good" nor "evil" in the world. He is also patient and conniving, having spent traveling around the seas with the Roger Pirates just to get his hands on the Curséd Fruit he wanted, before killing Thatch, the 4th division commander of the Whitebeard Pirates. His nihilistic tendencies are in line with the power of the Cursed Fruit he possesses, which is said to reduce everything to "nothingness". During his raid on Impel Down, he stated that his plans have not gone exactly as expected, but is willing to take these surprises in stride. Teech handed over Trace D. Portgaz to the World Government and finally killed Whitebeard. He has developed a severe superiority complex, believing himself to be truly invincible and the strongest of them all, while revealing his goal of world domination, after having acquired two Curséd Fruit powers. Despite this, he still displayed respect for others during the events, referring to Ace as commander (as a Whitebeard pirate), and said that he aspired to be like Whitebeard. He showed his ruthlessness when he killed Thatch, and with his crew's help finished off the Whitebeard Pirates' captain, Whitebeard.
Blackbeard is often very calm, composed, relaxed, easygoing, cheerful, and free-spirited, but he can be surprised and startled, such as when Coby told everybody present to stop the war, or when Whitebeard had held him by the throat. He is very politely sarcastic and mocking towards those around him, such as when he taunted Luffy, about Trace's execution, or when he mocked Whitebeard for his age. He is also overconfident, and while very powerful, tends to converse and/or taunt his opponents in the middle of battle. He has done this in every battle he has been shown in, and as a result, he always suffers a heavy, painful attack while his guard is down. Such as when he taunted Whitebeard about not being able to use his powers, and nearly got cleaved in half with Whitebeard's bisento or when he boasted himself in front of Magellan and was drowned by the Hydra attack, luckily for him Shiryu gave him and his crew the antidote. His overconfidence also made him believe that he could do a trade with the Navy despite having betrayed them already, which once again proved his mistake. Despite his arrogance, Blackbeard does show a sense of caution, as he refused to fight Rex and his crew, as well as Admiral Akainu when he was aboard the Navy battleship that they wanted.
Blackbeard is a very patient and careful pirate, as stated by Shanks. Unlike other powerful pirates, he never gained renown and remained concealed, and only makes his moves when he sees an opportunity for power.
- Blackbeard Pirates
- Roger D. Gol
- Rex D. Monkey
- Red-Haired Pirates
- Whitebeard Pirates
- Team Natsu
- Straw Hat Pirates
- World Government
- Bonney Pirates
Abilities and PowersEdit
At some point in his life, after his captain's death, Teach once fought his old crewmates, Rex D. Monkey and Shanks and gave scars on Shanks' left eye and on Rex's chest, although the Four Emperors' strength at the time is unknown; however, it is noted that this was during the time Shanks had both his arms, before losing his left arm to save Luffy, along with how Shanks admitted the injury didn't occur because of carelessness. After the Battle of Navyford, Blackbeard proved to the Five Elder Stars that he had a one-step lead to usurp the empty Emperor position that Whitebeard once held, which eventually came to fruition.
One of the more impressive feats he has committed was defeating three commanders of the Whitebeard Pirates; Trace D. Portgaz, Thatch, and later during the Payback War, Marco, the new Captain of the Whitebeard Pirates, all with hardly any effort, when few other people would even dare touch a member of the Whitebeard Pirates for fear of incurring their captain's wrath. After the time-skip, he and his crew fought against the Revolutionary Army and destroyed their base. It is also stated that they briefly fought against CP-0. Trace once stated that Blackbeard could have been a commander when he was recommended for the position, indicating that his strength was equal with any of the other commanders, which is notable, as he had not yet eaten a Curséd Fruit.
Blackbeard has shown himself to be an expert planner and a master at orchestrating manipulative schemes provided he has a sufficiently advanced period of time to prepare: he waited two decades aboard the "Oro Jackson" with the Roger Pirates and even integrated with the crew dynamic, solely to increase his opportunities of obtaining the Dark-Dark Fruit (he also collected his original crew members during this timeline, indicating great charisma and leadership skills even as a regular crew mate). He also went for the capture of Luffy D. Monkey in order to guarantee an offer for the vacant position of the Seven Warlords of the Sea by the World Government, which in turn was simply sought for the free access across the Gates of Justice into the notorious Impel Down to recruit powerful "Level Six" prisoners to strengthen his crew.
He has shown to be knowledgeable of Haki as demonstrated in Impel Down when Luffy angrily attacked him, commenting on how his spirit has improved. As of yet, it is unknown if he can use any of the three kinds of Haki.
However, for all his combat prowess and intellect, Blackbeard has a ridiculous habit of concentrating too much on conversations with his opponents while fighting them, letting his guard down in the process, a weakness he has demonstrated in his battles against Whitebeard, Luffy, Trace, and Magellan. This usually results in him suffering some critical injuries; in fact, if not for Shiryu's help, Teech's entire crew would have died from Magellan's Poison Curséd Fruit ability.
Teech has an immense amount of incredible endurance, as demonstrated when he took a point-blank quake bubble attack from Whitebeard, and while being pinned to the ground by the former's feet on his hands, to his head and neck without losing consciousness, especially since his Curséd Fruit causes him to receive even more damage. Prior to the above he took a hit from Whitebeard (albeit an indirect hit) from a quake bubble attack and was more annoyed than actually injured anyway. He has also taken a direct slash from Whitebeard's bisento without suffering any lasting damage and was able to shrug off a kick to his head from one of Whitebeard's allies and Supernova, Bonney Jewelry.
During his fight with Trace at Thriller Bark, he was pierced in the chest by two fire spears, but after putting out the flames, was he able to shake off the impact of the attack. Another indication of his sheer endurance is that he took a point-blank Gear Second attack from an angry Luffy and was hit by Sengoku in his Daibutsu form and came out with only minor injuries both times.
Teech also possesses incredible physical strength which is demonstrated when he seriously injures both Luffy and Trace in just one hit, sending them both crashing back with incredible force and distance. In the anime, he was shown to be able to knock back and injure Whitebeard with a few punches.
Blackbeard has become the first and, so far, only user to wield the powers of two Curséd Fruits at the same time. Through unknown means, he acquired the extremely destructive powers of the Tremor-Tremor Fruit from the dead body of Whitebeard and is now able to create earthquakes like his captain's old rival. Marco speculated that this was possible due to an unstated peculiarity unique to Blackbeard himself, having to do with an "atypical body structure" of some sort. He also pointed out that the other Whitebeard Pirates should be aware of this fact. Teech also appears to be knowledgeable enough to know how to use the Tremor-Tremor Fruit powers straight away after extracting it.
With the power of darkness (Dark-Dark Fruit), which "reduces anything to nothingness", and the power of quakes (Tremor-Tremor Fruit), which "brings destruction to all", Blackbeard claims himself to be truly invincible and the strongest of them all. During the two years, the Blackbeard Pirates went on to hunt down powerful Curséd Fruit users to kill them and absorb their abilities, thus Teech (and possibly his comrades) has likely added more abilities to his arsenal.
- Main article: Dark-Dark Fruit
Blackbeard has eaten the Logia-class Curséd Fruit Dark-Dark Fruit. With it, he can create, control, become the element of darkness and manipulate gravity, shown as an ebbing shroud of darkness, shown to possess a strong gravitational pull. Teech demonstrates that the "darkness" is a void which devours anything, able to pull in (much in the manner of an actual black hole), and crush his surrounding environment into a pile of rubble. Due to the Dark-Dark Fruit's gravitational ability, Blackbeard does have a certain but strong disadvantage; while using his "absorbtion" or gravitational abilities, he becomes temporarily unable to disperse and let attacks simply pass through him, drawing the attacks faster towards himself instead, meaning he takes equivalent or more damage than a normal human would.
However, Blackbeard states that the deficiency this presents is well worth the advantages the fruit bestows upon him, such as the ability to "absorb" certain projectiles and then hurl them back at his foes using moves like "Liberation". The second, and the most frightening power of the fruit is to nullify other Curséd Fruit abilities through physical contact, allowing Teech to physically hit Trace, whose body was composed of intangible flames, and injure Luffy, whose body was made of rubber. Teech states that this is because the Dark-Dark Fruit truly holds the power of the devil. As such, Blackbeard's style revolves around getting close to his enemy and grabbing them, canceling out any defensive abilities they have, forcing their own natural resilience to take Blackbeard's massive strength.
Blackbeard must, however, physically touch his enemy to cancel out their powers. This puts him at a huge disadvantage against enemies he cannot reach out and grab, even more so when the enemy can hurt him at a distance. However, this weakness can be rectified somewhat by his signature technique "Black Vortex", which utilizes his suction powers to drag his opponents towards him. This technique opens up another weakness since right after he uses it he is left open for an attack at close range.
- Black Hole (ブラック･ホール, Burakku Hōru): Blackbeard spreads his darkness over a large area and, much like an actual black hole, swallows up anything he chooses. When swallowed, the person or object is subjected to a large amount of gravity and crushed, such as an entire castle and forests of Thriller Bark. This technique was first seen as it was demonstrated in front of Trace.
- Liberation (リベレイション, Ribereishon): Used following Black Hole, Blackbeard expels all of the destroyed remains of what his darkness had swallowed up at once. This is especially good at demonstrating his power. This was first seen being demonstrated before Trace. In the anime, Teach foreshadowed that this attack can possibly be used to launch cannon balls and swords like projectiles.
- Black Vortex (くろうず, Kurōzu): Extending one arm towards his opponent, Blackbeard activates the gravity power of his darkness to pull them into his grasp. Blackbeard can then attack them with his massive strength. This move is particularly useful when used in conjunction with the fruit's power-nullifying abilities, since the target could easily avoid it by fighting at a distance from Blackbeard, as Trace attempted. This was first seen being used on Trace in order to grab him. However, this technique has also proven to be a great weakness, as most opponents he draws near him have attacked him while at close range, such as Trace launching two fiery spears into Blackbeard's chest, or Whitebeard slamming his bisento into Blackbeard's shoulder. The name of the attack is also a pun on the English word "close", and it can also mean "black vinegar", a vinegar commonly used in Chinese cooking.
- Black World (ブラック･ワールド, Burakku Wārudo): Blackbeard covers the area surrounding his opponent in darkness, blocking their vision. This attack was shown and named in Fairy One Piece Tail: Pirate Warriors.
- Black Opening (闇開, Yamiagari): Similar to a combination of Black Hole and Liberation, Blackbeard draws surrounding enemies into a pool of darkness in front of him before ejecting them, causing heavy damage in the process. The attack first appeared in Pirate Warriors 2, and is also in Pirate Warriors 3.
- Dark Matter (ダーク・マター, Dāku Matā): Blackbeard creates a big ball of darkness and throws it at his opponent. This attack was shown and named in Pirate Warriors 2, and is also in Pirate Warriors 3. This attack is very similar to the unnamed one Teach used against Ace's Entei at the end of their battle.
With the newly acquired powers of the Tremor-Tremor Fruit, which is said to be the most strongest Paramythia-class Curséd Fruit, Blackbeard can create shock waves by shattering the air itself, creating devastating earthquakes that can destroy the Navyford main building itself. He can also focus his quake powers into a "quake bubble" on his fist, greatly increasing the damage in a single punch. He acquired this fruit after wrapping a black tarp over himself and Whitebeard. The process of how he got it is still unknown.
The nature of Curséd Fruits is to pass into a nearby fruit and become edible once again when the user dies, but this process is still not fully explored, and somehow he was able to stop this from happening. Being able to contain two powers at once is entirely unexplained.
Teach acknowledged that he still does not have full control of his new destructive power though, so he does not have as much skill as Whitebeard with the abilities involved. This was, perhaps, first demonstrated when he chose not to directly confront Akainu, despite having two Curséd Fruit powers at his disposal, whereas Whitebeard himself confronted the admiral directly. This strongly insinuates a difference between the skills of both Blackbeard and Whitebeard at wielding the fruit's powers initially.
However, it should be mentioned that Blackbeard, who has a much more careless and vicious personality than Whitebeard, can be considered as a far greater threat to the world than Whitebeard himself. A perfect example of this is when Teech D. Marshall was creating random earthquakes to test his acquired power in Navyford. He also sent a giant tsunami towards Sabaody Archipelago without even realizing it.
- Main article: Haki
Teech has mentioned Haki on multiple occasions.
On Jaya, he first hinted at his use of Haki to measure Luffy's Haki. He used it again in a similar circumstance to measure the growth of Luffy's Haki during the Impel Down Arc, stating that Luffy's Haki had grown since they had last met.
He has three flintlock pistols tied in his sash, and was seen using them when dealing the deathblow to Whitebeard along with the other Blackbeard Pirates. His accuracy with them is not completely shown, as he was only seen emptying his ammunition into Whitebeard at point-blank range yet Whitebeard was still briefly alive.
Riding with RogerEdit
Rivalry and BetrayalEdit
- Teech D. Marshall vs. Shanks (details unknown, yet left Shanks with his scar on his left eye)
- Teech D. Marshall vs. Rex D. Monkey (details unknown, yet left Rex with his scar on his chest)
- Teech D. Marshall vs. Thatch (past unseen)
- Blackbeard Pirates vs. Drum Kingdom
- Teech D. Marshall vs. Sirkees
- Teech D. Marshall vs. Trace D. Portgaz
- Blackbeard Pirates vs. Impel Down Guards (Level 1)
- Teech D. Marshall vs. Hannyabal and Bazooka Unit
- Teech D. Marshall vs. Luffy D. Monkey and Natsu Dragneel (interrupted by Jimbei)
- Blackbeard Pirates vs. Magellan
- Blackbeard Pirates vs. Magellan (second time, off screen)
- Teech D. Marshall vs. Newgate Ward
- Blackbeard Pirates vs. Newgate Ward
- Blackbeard Pirates vs. Fleet Admiral Sengoku
- Blackbeard Pirates vs. Bonney Pirates
- Blackbeard Pirates vs. Whitebeard Pirates (under Marco) (unseen, during timeskip)
- Blackbeard Pirates vs. Revolutionary Army (unseen)
- Blackbeard Pirates vs. Cipher Pol (unseen)
Anime and Manga DifferencesEdit
Translation and Dub IssuesEdit
Also, it should be noted that though his epithet, "Kurohige" is translated universally as "Blackbeard", a more accurate translation would be "Black Facial Hair" as the Japanese language uses the word "Hige" to refer to all facial hair, regardless of whether it is a full beard or just a mustache.
- Teech D. Marshall One Piece Encyclopedia
Notes & TriviaEdit
- In the film Strong World, a man who looks just like Blackbeard is seen among the Golden Lion Pirates, with the only visible difference being his teeth.
- In Chapter 581, when addressing the prisoners of level 6 of Impel Down, he is shown with a full mouth of teeth. This was likely a mistake on Oda's part.
- Blackbeard's favorite food is pie.
- Curiously, in Fairy One Piece Tail Blue: Grand Data File, that covers from the East Blue Saga to the middle of the Jaya Arc, Teech is not revealed as Teech D. Marshall or Blackbeard, but as "Cherry Pie Man", a regular customer of the Mock Town Pub.
- Teech is the only known person to serve as both a Warlord and later a Emperor.
- He is the only known Emperor to once serve under another Emperor's crew.
- In the 5th fan poll, Teech ranked 67th.
- Blackbeard's hobbies are gambling and researching history.
- Blackbeard was indeed a real pirate who lived during the golden age of piracy. However, his real name was Edward Teach and not Marshall Teech. The first name was given to Newgate Ward.
- Blackbeard's original name, Teech D. Everything (ティーチ・D・エブリシング, Tīchi D. Eburishingu), may come from 17th-century English pirate Henry Every, famous for becoming the richest pirate in the world at the time and getting the highest bounty in history placed on his head.